Salted Caramel Brownies with Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce [GF/DF]
After the popularity of my gluten-free peanut butter swirl brownies (for which I haven’t shared the recipe, because they’re just too damn popular for orders), I was ready to try a different brownie variation. Since salted caramel is essentially the liquid of the Gods, it seemed an obvious choice.
Many have asked whether my brownies could be made dairy-free, so I took this as a challenge to make sure the next brownie recipe would be free from dairy. Doing this with a salted caramel recipe was probably a bit ambitious, but the result was SO much better than ever expected. Just as good, if not better, than the dairy version. They are unbelievably rich and moist and fudgy!
That salted caramel sauce you see happens to be vegan, made using sweetened and salted coconut cream. However, despite being dairy-free, the brownies themselves contain eggs, so are not vegan-friendly (soz). If you have a good egg replacement that works well in brownies, please do try this out and let me know how it goes!
- 150g dark chocolate, min. 70% cocoa (I use Lindt)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g coconut oil
- 80g ground almonds
- 60g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 140g maple syrup (or preferred sweetener)
- sprinkle of sea salt
Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- 100g coconut cream
- 1 tsp molasses (this gives a deep caramel flavour)
- 40g maple syrup (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- generous pinch of sea salt
- First, make the salted caramel by simply adding the sauce ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whipping together until combined. Transfer to a small jar or container and place in the fridge for later.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and line a deep baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add dark chocolate and coconut oil to a large heat-proof bowl. Using a bain-marie, slowly melt the chocolate until smooth and glossy. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together vigorously until light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour in the melted chocolate and continue to mix together until combined.
- Add vanilla extract, maple syrup and a good pinch of salt. Mix in.
- Add ground almonds and cocoa powder and mix it all together until you have a thick, smooth brownie batter.
- Spread the batter into a lined baking tray. Drizzle some of the salted caramel over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, drizzle over more salted caramel sauce (which will have thickened in the fridge) and slice into brownies. There’ll be leftover sauce you can keep for topping other sweet treats. ENJOY!
Remember to share your photos on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Tag me and use the hashtag #fitasfudge!