Gingerbread Latte [Costa Copycat]
We know Christmas is coming when coffee shops like Starbucks and Costa bring out their Christmas spiced lattes in cute festive red cups!
Although a delicious way to get your caffeine kick, these coffees mainly get their festive flavours from sugary and artificially flavoured syrups, which rack up the a. You can see from Costa’s website right here that one medium size regular Gingerbread Latte can contain over 300 calories, with 22g of fat and 18g of carbs (16g being sugars)…and that’s not counting any treats you have on the side (coffee and cake anyone?).
It’s pretty easy to enjoy a tasty and festive spiced coffee at home, and one that’s much lower in sugar and fat, using some festive spices and natural sweeteners. Enjoying it with a Healthy Gingerbread Man is optional – but highly recommended!
- 1-2 shots of espresso (depending on how strong you take your coffee)
- 1 cup almond milk (or preferred milk)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop vanilla flavour protein powder (optional)
- 1-2 tsps of maple syrup or sugar-free syrup
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Drizzle of sugar-free syrup
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Perhaps a Healthy Gingerbread Man?
- Brew 1-2 shots of your favourite kind of coffee (depending on how strong you like it).
- If using protein powder – Add the almond milk and protein powder to a shaker and shake vigorously to mix. Ensure there are no lumps. (For a super smooth mixture, you can also use a blender). If not using protein, skip to step 3.
- Slowly warm the almond milk in a saucepan over a low heat. Don’t allow it to boil. If you heat it too quickly, the protein will kind of ‘curdle’ and become lumpy.
- Mix in the spices, sweetener and vanilla. Remove from the heat once the milk is warm, but not boiling.
- Simply pour the desired amount of warm milk into your coffee.
- Top with some whipped cream (optional), a little drizzle of sugar-free syrup and a final sprinkle of cinnamon.
If you try this recipe, remember to share your photos on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Tag me @fitasfudge_ and use the hashtag #fitasfudge!