Cherry Bakewell Protein Oat Bars
Snack bars and protein bars are so simple to make at home – they’re practically a one-bowl recipe, and probably a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones you’re buying.
These Cherry Bakewell bars are inspired by the Cherry Bakewell tart, which combines the flavours of cherries and almonds. The oaty bars are dotted with sweet dark cherries and crunchy almonds. They even contain ground almonds to continue with the theme. Finally, they’re drizzled with almond butter and baked until golden and crisp.
The bars are made with the addition of protein powder, so that each bar contains 10g of protein. However, if you don’t want to use protein, you can simply substitute the protein powder with extra oats instead.
These make for a great grab-and-go breakfast snack, or to help beat the mid-afternoon munchies.
- 100g frozen dark sweet cherries
- 120g oats
- 50g vanilla protein powder
- 25g ground almonds
- 220ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 sachet Ella’s kitchen bananas + apple puree (or 1 mashed ripe banana)
- 40g almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsps almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1-2 tsps cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsps maple syrup or honey (or stevia)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a deep baking tray with brown baking paper.
- Add oats, protein powder, ground almonds and baking powder to a large bowl and mix together.
- Next, add the banana pure sachet (or mashed banana) and one large egg. Mix those in.
- Next, add almond milk and 1 Tbsp of the almond butter, followed by stevia, cinnamon, vanilla extract and a small pinch of salt. Stir to combine everything together.
- Finally, fold in the cherries and chopped almonds.
- Pour the mixture out evenly into the baking tray. Drizzle the remaining Tbsp of almond butter over the prepared mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 20 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool completely, then slice into bars and enjoy.
(per bar, out of 10)