Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Spring is in the air! Okay, I know it doesn’t quite look like it yet, but the sun should be back to brighten our days soon.
Carrot cake is one of my favourite all-time cakes. I love the moist cake texture, with warm flavours of cinnamon and nutmeg. This recipe turns the classic cake into delightful little cupcakes, complete with chopped walnuts and cream cheese frosting, of course. 1 of your 5 a day, right? 😉
The carrots add sweetness and moisture to the cake, while adding a vibrant orange hue. When grating, make sure the carrot shreds are quite fine. They will cook down while baking and help to soften the cake texture, and of course you won’t actually taste carrot. You don’t want big chunks of carrot in your cake though.
- 220g carrots, raw, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 180g self-raising flour (for GF, use Dove’s Farm)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 100g brown sugar (or brown sugar alternative)
- 2 Tbsps stevia (or sugar / preferred granulated sweetener)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 65g natural greek yoghurt
- optional: 50g walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 200g Philadelphia light cream cheese
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 Tbsps stevia (or more icing sugar)
- to decorate: handful of walnuts, chopped (optional)
- to decorate: handful of grated carrot (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a cupcake tray with paper cupcake cases.
- Beat eggs and sugars together vigorously until thick and fluffy.
- Add the grated carrots, maple syrup (or honey), greek yoghurt and melted coconut oil and mix it all together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and continue mixing until you have a smooth batter.
- If you’re adding chopped walnuts in, carefully stir them into the mixed batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake cases, filling each about 3/4 full (no more because they’ll need space to rise!).
- Bake the cupcakes for about 15-18 minutes (it varies with different ovens), until risen and golden, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool down completely.
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer, whisk the butter and cream cheese together on medium-high speed, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract. Slowly add icing sugar and stevia and mix until smooth.
- Once cupcakes have cooled down completely, place the frosting in a piping bag or icing gun, and top each cupcake. Place in the fridge to allow the frosting to set.
- Optional: Finish the cupcakes off with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts and a grate a little extra bit of carrot over.
If you try this recipe, remember to share your photos
on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Tag me @fitasfudge_ and use the hashtag #fitasfudge!