Beaut Beetroot Hummus
Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Vegan-friendly
Classic hummus is delicious, but this recipe adds an extra blast of nutrients AND a beautiful purple colour. This vibrant and colorful beetroot hummus is tasty, easy to make and super creamy. Pair it with fresh veggies or spread over crackers or rice cakes for a scrumptious healthy snack.
Roasted beetroots, with their natural sweetness, add a tasty twist to the traditional hummus. Beets are a powerful antioxidants and contains a whole load of nutrients, from vitamin C and fibre, to essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). They’re also high in nitrates, which help to increase blood flow and therefore reduce blood pressure.
Also, they make everything pretty.
You can roast your beets in advance, but to save some hassle, you can buy pre-cooked beets in most supermarkets. I buy them pre-cooked in vacuum-packed bags at Eroski. Apart from that, it’s a simple case of throwing the ingredients into a blender or food processor and letting it do it’s thing!
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 large beetroot, cooked
- 2 Tbsps tahini
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tsps cumin
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Place all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor. I like to also add in the residual juices from the beetroot – that’s extra colouring!
- Blitz away until you have the texture of a smooth, creamy hummus.
- Taste, and adjust any seasonings as you see fit.
- Transfer to a jar or container and store in the fridge. Enjoy as a dip for veggies, crackers or rice cakes.
Pictured with: Raw Health organic provencale crispbreads, sprinkled with nutritional yeast and fresh herbs.
Remember to share your photos on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Tag me and use the hashtag #fitasfudge!