Banana Bread Bites [GF]
We’ve got to the point where, every week buy a new batch of bananas, and the boyf keeps 2 or 3 aside and waits for them to get really brown, “for banana bread”. Sneaky monkey.
Lately, instead of making banana bread the normal way, in a loaf tin, I’ve been pouring the batter into a deep baking tray (the type I use for baking brownies) and then cutting the baked banana bread into thick chunky squares instead. I’m not sure why it started, but now I just prefer having it in small chunky bites for easy grab & go.
I always use a mixture of gluten-free flour and ground almonds to ensure a soft, fluffy texture that doesn’t dry out. The key here is to not be afraid of letting your bananas get really brown – the browner, the better, really. As the bananas ripen and turn brown, they get really soft and mushy, which helps for the mixture, but what’s also happening is that the resistant starches are breaking down into sugars, making them extra sweet. So sweet, that you don’t need to use very much additional sweeteners!
- 4 large ripe bananas (the browner, the better)
- 2 large eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 120g gluten-free self-raising flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 60g maple syrup (or honey or preferred sweetener)
- 30g natural greek yoghurt (I use Total)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and line a deep baking tray with brown baking paper.
- Mash ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, sweetener and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Add the yoghurt and mix it all together until combined into a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for approx. 20 minutes. Until the top is golden and crisp and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool completely. Once cool, slice into chunky squares. Enjoy!
MACROS (per square, out of 20):
Note: You can use the same recipe for a loaf! You just need to adjust the baking time to 30-40 minutes, to ensure it cooks all the way through.
Or click here if you want My Best Banana Bread recipe